Stepping Stones to Awakening
12 CORE THEMES OF ACIM
WHEN FULLY INTEGRATED from PURPOSE TO PROCESS,
these recurring themes of ACIM provide a Path for Healing & Awakening
1. My Only Purpose is to AWAKEN from the dream of forgetfulness.
Let me remember, Awakening is the only purpose all my brothers and sisters
everywhere are here for.
- As I see their Holy Purpose, I see my own. My Holiness sees only God’s Purpose and Plan for Salvation as my own. There is no other. Purpose is meaning. ~ WB 25.1
- Salvation is your happiest accomplishment. It is also the only one that has any meaning, because it is the only one that has any real use to you at all. WB 44.8.2
- Our Shared Purpose is to Awaken and Know Our True Self. My sole responsibility in this world is to accept The Atonement. Only our Purpose remains Constant. Only this is Consistent. Only a purpose unifies, and those who share a purpose have a mind as one. Text Ch 23.IV.7.4
- T-2.V.5 The sole responsibility of the miracle worker is to accept the Atonement for himself. This means you recognize that mind is the only creative level, and that its errors are healed by the Atonement. Once you accept this, your mind can only heal.
- The sole responsibility of God’s teacher is to accept the Atonement for himself. (M.18.4.5)
- Purpose is meaning. WB 25.1 / T. Ch. 29 VI.3 Nothing survives its purpose.
2. I am Cause. I am not a victim of the world. I invented the world I see. ACIM WB 31 & 32
- This is a course in cause and not effect. Text 21.VII.6.8
- Text Page 448. “Responsibility for Sight.” T-21.2 This is the only thing that you need do for vision, happiness, release from pain and the complete escape from sin, all to be given you. Say only this, but mean it with no reservations, for here the power of salvation lies: I am responsible for what I see. I choose the feelings I experience, and I decide upon the goal I would achieve. And everything that seems to happen to me I ask for, and receive as I have asked. Deceive yourself no longer that you are helpless in the face of what is done to you. Acknowledge but that you have been mistaken, and all effects of your mistakes will disappear. Let all things be exactly as they are. WB 268
3. Nothing in this world will satisfy the Eternal Son of God and nothing can hurt the SON
unless He chooses to “believe it can”
- “The world I see holds nothing that I want” WB 128
- “I loose the world from all that I thought it was.” “There is no world” This is the central thought this course attempts to teach” WB 132 Para 6.2
- “I will not value what is valueless, What Is Valuable belongs to me” WB 133
- I am not a body, I am free, I am still as God Created me. WB 199-220
- My Salvation comes from me. WB 70
- I could see peace instead of this. WB 34
4. “I do not know what anything is for.” WB Lesson 25
- “I do not perceive my own best interest” WB Lesson 24
- If I do know, then I am invested, and it is this that makes me slave to the dream. Illusions are investments. They will last as long as you value them. Values are relative, but they are powerful because they are mental judgments. The only way to dispel illusions is to withdraw all investment from them, and they will have no life for you because you will have put them out of your mind. While you include them in it, you are giving life to them. Except there is nothing there to receive your gift. Text 7.7.4
- It is my reaction to what I see, my interpretation of what I see that hurts me. If I do not know what anything is for, if not invested in being right, I can accept it and let it go, without making a judgment on it or myself, for making the judgment. Only the ego mind is invested here. Whenever I am not wholly Joyous, I must have reacted without love to one of God’s Creations. Ask of all things, what is it for? T Ch 4.V.6.7
- I do not know the thing I am, and therefore do not know what I am doing, where I am, or how to look upon the world or on myself. Yet in this learning is salvation born. And, What you are will tell you of Itself. Text Ch 31.V.17.7
5. ACCEPTANCE. Spirit Accepts, ego resists. What I resist, persists. Acceptance is Forgiveness
- Do I want to be right or Happy? Choose one, you can’t have both.
- I can choose to HEAL. To Heal is to make Happy. Text Ch 5. Intro. 1
- Healing is another Name for God. WB 356.
- God Established His Relationship with You to make You Happy, and nothing that you do that does not share His Purpose can be real. ~ACIM T.17 IV.1
- The “root of all evil” is the Authority Problem. Text Ch 3. VI.7
6. It’s ALL in the mind. IYSIYGI …If You Spot It You Got It, NO exceptions. It takes one to know one.
- Projection makes perception. It is the witness to your state of mind, the outside picture of an inward condition. As a man thinketh, so does he perceive. Therefore, seek not to change the world, but choose to change your mind about the world. Perception is a result and not a cause. And that is why order of difficulty in miracles is meaningless. Text Ch 21 Intro. Within & without are the same.
- What I think apart from God is a reminder of the guilt of separation. When I see my Brother as different or having different interests, it tells me which teacher in my mind I am listening to. Awareness of this allows me to change my teacher and mind” In this perception, My Brother is my Savior ~Holy Spirit
- “Our only relationship is with God” Ideas leave not their source. Text 26.VII.4.4
- There is no order of difficulty in miracles. ACIM Principle #1
7. The Correction of Error.
- “The alertness of the ego to the errors of other egos is not the kind of vigilance the Holy Spirit would have you maintain. When you correct a Brother, you are telling him that he is wrong. The cosmic joke is, we are always speaking about our self. Nobody needs fixing! I need do nothing. There is nothing to learn. Text, Ch. 9.3
8. “Only my condemnation injures me. Only my own forgiveness sets me free. Do not forget today that there can be no form of suffering that fails to hide an unforgiving thought. Nor can there be a form of pain forgiveness cannot heal. ACIM WB Lesson 198
9. “What could you not accept, if you but knew that everything that happens, all events, past, present and to come, are gently planned by One Whose only purpose is your good? Spirit Accepts Always, Knowing All is Perfect. WB Lesson 135
- Love is the way I walk in Gratitude. WB 195
- All things are lessons God would have me learn. WB 193
- “It takes great learning to understand that all things, events, encounters and circumstances are helpful. It is only to the extent to which they are helpful that any degree of reality should be accorded them in this world of illusion. Teachers Manual, Sec. 4 Trust
- “Only God’s plan for salvation will work” W-71.
10. Ask the Holy Spirit for help.
- Peace abides in every mind that quietly accepts the plan God set for its Atonement, relinquishing its own. 5 You know not of salvation, for you do not understand it. Make no decisions about what it is or where it lies, but ask the Holy Spirit everything, and leave all decisions to His gentle counsel. T-14.III.12.
- This holy instant would I give to You.
- Be You in charge. For I would follow You,
- Certain that Your direction gives me peace. W-365
11. “Forgiveness is the key to Happiness” No one is excluded from our Circle of Forgiveness, Our Circle of Innocence, or we are leaving our self out. If we are not WHOLLY JOYOUS, we are withholding Love from one of God’s Creations, and that is always us. WB Lesson 121
12. The Law of Love, The Law of Mind, The Law of God. What We Give, We Give To Our Self. Love Knows Only Itself & Gives to Itself by Extending without limit. ONLY the LOVE IS REAL!
- There is a light in you the world cannot perceive. And with its eyes you will not see this light, for you are blinded by the world. Yet you have eyes to see it. It is there for you to look upon. It was not placed in you to be kept hidden from your sight. This light is a reflection of the thought we practice now. To feel the Love of God within you is to see the world anew, shining in innocence, alive with hope, and blessed with perfect charity and love. WB 189.1
TO KNOW YOUR PERFECT GOD SELF, SEE THE PERFECT GOD SELF IN ALL YOU MEET
If this is not possible right now, stay open…
I need only step back…
and invite The Holy Spirit to Lead and show me His Vision.
His Voice Calls Gently speaks to me of my Sameness,
Sees my Oneness with my Brother and Love of God.
Our True Identity is Constant and Eternal
This is Truth, We Are ONE.
The Truth Frees The Son.
LOVE THE TRUTH.
Above all else I want to see. WB 27
A universal theology is impossible, but a universal experience is not only possible but necessary. It is this experience toward which the course is directed. Here alone consistency becomes possible because here alone uncertainty ends. TM C. Intro.
Hold onto nothing. Do not bring with you one thought the past has taught, nor one belief you ever learned before from anything. Forget this world, forget this course, and come with wholly empty hands unto your God. WB 189.7.3
The Simple Themes above are taken from the 3 Books of A Course in Miracles
The Course offers us concepts and symbols to use as Stepping Stones
to the Experience of Inner Peace that the Course leads us to.
12 Core Themes, the Stepping Stones of ACIM, co-created by David Fishman & Linda Card.
We give Thanks and Appreciation Andy LeCompte for his Contributions to the 12 SteppingStones.
One Mind Foundation www.OneMindFoundation.org
Salvation is a collaborative venture. ~ACIM